Thursday, October 29, 2009

Today's Topic? Scary Business, My Friends

I'm talking serious scary here, folks. In fact, if you are weak in the stomach, you just might want to skip this little post altogether. Today's topic is child murderers. I'm talking about the barely-past-puberty-killers out there. Today I saw on the Fox website that a fifteen year old girl is the main suspect in the murder of another student at her school. She lead the police to the body, hidden in the woods.

Fifteen. At fifteen, I was finding out the joys of the oppsite sex. At fifteen I was a freshman in high school. At fifteen, I was attending my first dance. At fifteen, I had yet to be behind the wheel of a car.

At fifteen, this girl may very well go to jail, for a good portion of the rest of her life.

Right now, a judge is deciding whether or not to make a hearing for her public. This hearing will decide whether or not the young female is tried as an adult. And this hearing is the point at which I am torn into two.

On one hand, I was no where near mature enough at that age to be considered an adult, and I was pretty damn mature for fifteen. And I'm pretty sure this girl is just as average as thousands of other fifteen year old girls across this country.

On the other hand, if this girl did what the police are saying she did, and it doesn't seem as though there is much doubt, then, well, she needs to be tried as an adult. If you feel the need to take someone's life for reasons other than self-defense, then you deserve the full force of our laws. I do not want a twisted child released onto our streets at twenty-one because the courts have decided that the child has done their time for murder.

I wish I could say that this is an isolated incident. However, in Florida, another fifteen year old, a boy this time, will be faced with charges that he murdered his own fourteen year old brother for loud music.

Child killers, an appropriate title as any, are truly frightening. I get chills just thinking about something that should be innocent doing something so inherently evil. And this raises a question: is there something wrong with the killers, mentally? Are their hormonal levels completely out of wack? What on earth is it that drives these preteens and high schoolers to murder?

I think the tragedy is that, in this particular case, the death of this nine year old has driven the other students in school to pick sides. Fights are breaking out between the two groups. And isn't it just horrible?

Is society failing as a whole, that we must constantly watch our children, for fear of them getting hurt? Or is this nothing new? Why are there schools with metal detectors and security guards? These things should be reserved for airports and government buildings.

This is a heavy topic, and I feel as though that is enough for now. This is entirely too much to think about, and the fact that it must be thought about is both terrifying and depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment